BOOK JOHN SPENCER TO SPEAK
Over the past few years I’ve been lucky enough to work with some amazing people and companies. If you are interested in having me speak or present, please know that I take only one of these opportunities per month (as I still work full-time as a college professor). Please fill out the form below or email me a firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get back to you within 24 hours!
My Passion for Creative Classrooms
I am passionate about seeing kids embrace creativity through design thinking. As a middle school teacher, this included murals, documentaries, STEM camps, and coding projects. As a dad, this has meant “collaborating” on elaborate pillow forts and home-made pinball machines with my kids. As a children’s book author, this has meant co-writing Wendell the World’s Worst Wizard (a book about a non-magical wizard who falls in love with robotics). It’s also why I co-founded the blogging platform Write About. Now, as I begin my career as a professor of instructional technology, this means inspiring and empowering new teachers to use technology and design thinking for creative reasons.
Over the last three years, I have had the opportunity to share this vision for creative classrooms with a variety of audiences, including the White House Future Ready Summit, a breakfast keynote at ISTE, and a TEDx Talk. I’ve been honored to work with schools, districts and organizations through keynotes, workshops, sessions and coaching on the topics of design thinking, blended learning, and student engagement.
I offer the unique perspective of being a published author, the co-founder of a successful startup, a classroom teacher for over a decade, and now a college professor. In other words, I am not only passionate about creativity. I am someone with extensive classroom experience, industry experience, and research experience.
As a facilitator and speaker, I believe teachers need to be affirmed for the great things they are doing while also being challenged to grow in their craft. My approach blends practical skills, best practices, and reflective thinking with a style that is both humorous and conversational. I always include a set of practical resources that participants can access online at any time.
My TEDx Talk
Frequently Requested Keynotes and Workshops
Here are some of the most requested keynotes and workshops. Each session comes with a free, customized toolkit packed with resources for your specific audience.
- The Creative Classroom: Boosting Creativity and Innovation Through Design Thinking (Keynote and/or Workshop)
- In the Zone: Maximizing Flow for Student Engagement (Keynote and/or Workshop)
- It Is Personal: A New Vision for Personalized Learning (Keynote or Workshop)
- The Future of Literacy (Keynote and/or Workshop)
- Epic Engagement: Lesson Planning Through the Lens of Story (Keynote and Workshop)
- Creating a Culture of Engagement From Day One (Keynote and/or Workshop
- Five Authentic Assessment Strategies You Can Use Tomorrow
- A Beginner’s Guide to Design Thinking
- The Five Types of Creative Teachers
- The Seven Stages in the Technology Journey
- We Want Kids to Be Creative But How Do We Assess That?
- Beyond Blogging: The Future of Digital Literacy